Some states have taken a position on who can and cannot perform electrology. This is usually determined by each state’s state barbering and cosmetology board, but sometimes it is under other boards.
Please note that this is not medical or legal advice. All information below is subject to change and may contain inaccuracies. You are responsible for confirming the most up-to-date version of your state’s laws.
- Arkansas Board of Cosmetology – LE
- 4815 W. Markham, Slot 8 Little Rock, AR 72205
- Requirements: 600 hrs OR 350 hrs AND 1500-hr cosmetology license; Examination 16 yrs; High school or equiv.
- California Board of Barbering & Cosmetology – LE
- 2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 100 Sacramento, CA 95834
- Requirements: 600 hrs OR 2-yr apprenticeship; Examination; 17 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Connecticut Department of Public Health Board of Examiners Of Electrologists
- P.O. Box 340308, 410 Capitol Avenue, MS#12APP Hartford, CT 06134-0308
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination: IBEC; 1.0 CEUs for annual license renewal; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Delaware Board of Cosmetology & Barbering
- 861 Silver Lake Blvd, Cannon Building, Suite 203, Dover, DE 19904-2467
- Requirements: 300 hrs OR 600 hr apprenticeship; Examination; 16 yrs; 10th grade or equiv.
District of Columbia
- Washington D.C. Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs – Cosmetology
- Occupational & Professional Licensing, 941 North Capitol Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002-4259
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination; 18 yrs
- Florida Department of Health, Board of Medicine, Electrolysis Council
- 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-05, Tallahassee, FL 32399-3255
- Requirements: 320 hrs; Examination: IBEC; 2.0 CEUs every 2 yrs; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs – Electrology License – RE
- PO Box 3469, Honolulu, HI 96801
- Requirements: 600 hrs OR 800 hrs apprenticeship by rules/regulations; Examination; 18 yrs
- Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses
- 1109 Main Street Suite 220, Boise, ID 83702-5642
- Requirements: 500 hrs AND 300-hr skin care OR 1600-hr apprenticeship and examination; 16 1/2 yrs; 2 yrs High school or equiv.
- Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation – Division of Professional Regulation
- James R. Thompson Center, 100 W. Randolph St., Floor 9, Chicago, IL 60601
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination: IBEC; 3.0 CEUs every 2 years; 18 yrs. High school or GED equiv.
- Indiana Professional Licensing Agency – LE/RE
- ATTN: State Board of Cosmetology Examiners, 402 W. Washington Street, Room W072, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Requirements: 1500 hrs beauty culture course (licensed) or 700 hrs esthetics course (licensed) plus 300 hrs electrology course (licensed); Examination (written and practical); 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Lucas Building, 5th Floor, 321 E. 12th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319-0075
- Requirements: 425 hrs; .8 CEUs biennally; High school or GED equiv.
- Kansas State Board of Cosmetology
- 714 S.W. Jackson, Suite 100, Topeka, KS 66603-3722
- Requirements: 500 hrs OR 1000 hr apprenticeship; Examination; 17 yrs.; High school or GED equiv.
- Louisiana State Board of Electrolysis Examiners – LE
- PO Box 8648, Metairie, LA 70011-8648
- Requirements: 600 hrs OR 600-hr apprenticeship; Examination; .5 CEUs for instructors annual license renewal; .3 CEUs for licensure; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Maine Dept. of Health & Human Services
- Licensing and Regulatory Services, 11 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333
- Requirements: Notarized certificate of completion of 600 hrs. in a school of electrology; 17 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Maryland Board of Nursing – Electrology Practice Committee
- Liaison, 4140 Patterson Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination: IBEC; 2.0 CEUs for biennial license renewal; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure -RE
- Board of Registration of Electrologists, 1000 Washington St., Suite 710, Boston, MA 02118-6100
- Requirements: 1100 hrs; Examination; 2.0 CEUs biennially; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Michigan Department of Consumer & Industry Services – RE
- Board of Cosmetology, P.O. Box 30244, Lansing, MI 48909
- Requirements: 400 hrs OR 6-mo apprenticeship; Examination; 18 yrs; 9th grade or equiv.
- Montana Board of Cosmetologists
- 301 S Park Ave., 4th Floor, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services
- PO Box 95044, Lincoln, NE 68509-5044, Ph: 402-471-2117
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination; 17 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Nevada State Board of Cosmetology
- 1785 East Sahara Avenue, Suite 255, Las Vegas, NV 89104, Ph: 702-486-6542
- Requirements: 500 hrs OR 1000-hr apprenticeship; Examination; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services – LE
- Office of Professional Licensure and Certification, Philbrook Bldg. 121 South Fruit Street, Concord, NH 03301-3857
- 603-271-3608; 603-271-3950
- Requirements: 1100 hrs; Examination: IBEC; 1.0 CEUs every 2 years for license renewal; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners, Advisory Council, Division of Consumer Affairs – LE
- Electrologist Advisory Council, 124 Halsey Street, PO Box 45041, Newark, NJ 07101
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination: IBEC & Jurisprudence; 2.0 CEUs every 2 years; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- New Mexico Board of Barbers & Cosmetologists
- 2550 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87505
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination; 17 yrs; 10th grade or equiv.
- North Carolina Board of Electrolysis Examiners
- 2 Centerview Drive, Suite 60, Greensboro, NC 27407
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination: IBEC; 1.0 CEUs annual; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- North Dakota Department of Health
- 600 E Boulevard Ave, Bismarck, ND 58505-0200
- Requirements: 600 hrs; .5 CEUs for annual license renewal; no Examination; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Ohio State Medical Board – CT/DCT
- 30 E. Broad Street, 3rd Floor, Columbus, OH 43215-6127
- Requirements: 750 hrs; Examination; 2.5 CEUs for biennial license renewal; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision
- PO Box 18256, Oklahoma City, OK 73154-0256
- Requirements: 600 hrs internship; Examination: IBEC; 1.0 CEUs every 3 yrs; 21 yrs; BS. degree/approved field
- Oregon Health Licensing Agency – LE
- 700 Summer Street NE – Suite 320, Salem, OR 97301-1287
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination; 0.8 CEUs each year for annual license renewal; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Rhode Island Board of Examiners of Electrolysis- LE
- 3 Capitol Hill – # 105, Providence, RI 02908
- Requirements: 650 hrs apprenticeship; Examination: IBEC; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Tennessee Health Related Boards – LE/RE
- 227 French Landing – Suite 300, Heritage Pl., Metro Center, Nashville, TN 37243
- Requirements: 600 hrs AND 23 credit hours in approved subjects; National Examination; Practical Exam; 1.0 CEUs for annual license renewal; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing
- Cosmetology/Barbering, 160 East 300 South – P.O. Box 146741, Salt Lake City, UT 84111-6741
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Vermont Office of Professional Regulation – LE
- National Life Building, North, Floor 2, Montpelier, VT 05620-3402
- Requirements: 600 hrs; Examination: IBEC; 1.0 CEUs every 2 years; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
- Wisconsin Department of Regulation & Licensing – RE
- State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology, 1400 East Washington Avenue – P.O. Box 8935, Madison, WI 53708-8935
- Requirements: 450 hrs; Examination: IBEC; 1.2 CEUs every 2 years; 18 yrs; High school or equiv.
|State||Electrolysis is regulated|
|District of Columbia||Yes|
Source: American Electrology Association