Title: Hair removal using the long-pulsed ruby laser.
Authors: Solomon MP
Journal: Ann Plast Surg 1998 Jul;41(1):1-6
PMID: 9678460, UI: 98341600
Affiliated institution: Division of Plastic Surgery, Allegheny University of the Health Sciences, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
There are a variety of traditional treatments for the removal of unwanted hair. Recently, lasers have been developed to remove hair. The long-pulsed ruby laser uses light at a wavelength of 694 nm with a 3-msec pulse to destroy hair. Seventy-two patients were treated with this laser from one to four times in a variety of areas. Seventy-one patients had an alteration in their hair growth. One patient had no change in her hair pattern. There were no scars and no permanent changes in pigmentation. Laser hair removal is a useful method for the treatment of unwanted facial and body hair.
1. Elder MJ. The true rate of success in argon laser eyelash thermoablation. Ophthal Surg Lasers 1996;27:888-890.
2. Wheeland RG. Laser-assisted hair removal. Dermatol Clin 1997;15:469-477
3. Grossman MC, Dierickx C, Farinelli W, Flotte T, Anderson RR. Damage to the hair follicles by normal-mode ruby laser pulses. J Am Acad Dermatol 1996;35:889-95
4. Achauer BM, VanderKam VM. Traumatic tattooing:treatment with a Q-switched ruby laser: a case study. Ann Plast Surg 1996;36:398-400
5. Chang CJ, Nelson JS, Achauer BM. Q-switched ruby laser treatment of oculodermal melanosis (nevus of Ota). Plast Reconst Surg 1996;98:784-790
6. Ashinoff R, Geronemus RG. Rapid response of traumatic and mnedical tattoos to treatment with the Q-switched ruby laser. Plast Reconst Surg 1993;91:841-845
7. Grossman MC, Anderson RR, Farinelli W et al. Treatment of cafe au lait macules with lasers.A clinicopatologic correlation. Arch Dermatol 1996;131:1416-1420
8. Monheit GD. Advances in Chemical peeling. Fac Plast Surg Clin North Am 1994;2:5-9
9. Bono M. Real world electrology: the blend method. Santa Barbara: Tortoise Press, 1994
10. Urushibata O, Kase. K. A comparative study of axillary hair removal in women: plucking vs. the belnd method. J Dermatol 1995;22:738-742
11. Vallis CP. "Hair replacement surgery." In: McCarthy JG, ed. Plastic Surgery. Vol 2. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1990:1514-1537
12. Winkler EM, Christiansen K. Sex hormone levels and body hair growth in Kung San and Kavango men from Namibia. Am J Phys Anthropol 1993;92:155-164
13. Itami S, Kurata S, Takayasu S. Androgen induction of follicular epithelial cell growth is mediated via insulin-like growth factor-I from dermal papilla cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1995;212:988-994
14. Philpott MP, Sanders D, Westgate GE, Kealey T. Human hair growth in vitro: a model fopr the study of hair follicle biology. J Dermatol Sci 1994;7(Suppl):S55-S72
15. Kim JC, Choi YC. Regrowth of grafted human scalp hair after removal of the bulb. Dermatol Surg 1995;21:312-313