Unlu, 2000 (argon eyelash removal)

Unlu, 2000

Title: Prospective evaluation of the argon laser treatment of trachomatous trichiasis.

Authors: Unlu K, Aksunger A, Soker S, Karaca C, Bilek K

Journal: Jpn J Ophthalmol 2000 Nov-Dec;44(6):677-9

PMID: 11094186

Affiliated institution: Department of Ophthalmology, University of Dicle School of Medicine, Diyarbakir, Turkey.

Cited in:

PURPOSE: To evaluate the effectiveness of argon laser photocoagulation for the treatment of trachomatous trichiasis. METHODS: This report presents a prospective, non-masked study of 22 patients (36 eyelids) with trachomatous trichiasis treated with the argon laser. Each abnormal lash was treated with a beam of 50- to 200-micron spot size, for 0.2 seconds, and 1 to 1.2 watts power. In 30 lids (83.3%) infiltration anesthesia was used and in 6 lids (16.7%) no anesthesia was used. RESULTS: Successful treatment with no evidence of recurrence was achieved in 55.5% of lids after one laser session. The remaining 44.5% of the lids required two or three sessions. The final success rate of the method was 88.9%. No complications were observed. The mean follow-up time was 10.6 months. CONCLUSION: Argon laser photocoagulation is an effective and safe method for the treatment of trachomatous trichiasis.