(Redirected from Eyelashes)
There are a number of diseases or disorders involving the eyelashes:
- Madarosis is the loss of eyelashes
- Blepharitis is the irritation of the lid margin (where eyelashes join the eyelid). Eyelids are red and itching. The skin often becomes flaky. The eyelashes may fall.
- Distichiasis is the abnormal growth of lashes from certain areas of the eyelid.
- Trichiasis is ingrown eyelashes
- Eyelashes may become infested with crab louse parasites
- An external hordeolum, or stye, is a purulent inflammation of infected eyelash follicles and surrounding sebaceous (Zeis) and apocrine (Moll) glands of the lid margin.
- Trichotillomania is a disorder that urges the sufferer to pull out scalp hair, eyelashes, etc.
- Demodex folliculorum (or the demodicid), is a small mite that lives, harmlessly, in eyelash follicles and around 98% of us have these mites living in our lashes and/or hair.
Eyelash and Eyebrow transplant surgeries may help to reconstruct or thicken lashes or eyebrow hair.
Want to add or edit information? Send us an Email to register as an editor or sign up for a Professional Membership!