Inexpensive, fast, usually painless, very safe, can be done at home, available almost anywhere.
Effect lasts a short time– anywhere from a few hours to several days. Dark-haired users may have visible “shadow” of dark hair under skin. Often requires daily use. Can cause skin irritation and cuts. For some, it causes ingrown hairs (esp. in women’s bikini area and African-American men’s facial hair). Blades require frequent replacement.
- Trotter 1928 was the first to prove shaving does not make hair come in thicker or grow faster.
- Richards 1990 found shaving the most common and useful method for removing hair.
- Equipment: From under $1.00 to $25.00 for manual razors and supplies.
- Professional shave (barber): Between $5.00 to $30.00, depending on location and type (straight razor is usually more)
- Accessories: Shaving creams and gels, replacement blade cartridges, before and after-shave products, usually between $1.00 and $15.00
Brands and manufacturers
- A shaving system is a non-disposable handle that uses replaceable blade cartridges.
- A disposable razor, as the name suggests, is an inxpensive razor designed to be thrown out when the blade gets dull.
- A saftey razor is a double-blade razor designed to reduce the likelihood of nicks or cuts.